Tuesday 24 August 2010

New Commission



So long time no post. I've been making posts in my head but I've either not had the time or inclination to actually get them to a computer, which is quite frustrating.

I'm working on a commission, which has been bubbling along for the last few months. I'm currently in the final stages of making and getting ready to install in under a weeks time.

Which is why I'm sat writing this blog at 2.30am . I'm working on a commission that is extensively made from cut paper. Paper cutting for me is very physically demanding on my hands, and means I have to stretch and take lots of breaks- so its extremely slow progress and it means I'm working at odd hours.

I've been commissioned by city arts in Nottingham to produce a installation at the New Art Exchange. I've been tasked with responding to the Arts on Prescription programme, and its summer workshops that have had a fairy tale theme. The workshops help the participants gain confidence, well being, art skills and explore creativity.

I found that in visiting the the workshops that a variety of themes and ideas emerged that inspired me. Imagination and giving it a go seemed to be predominant, the potential that comes from shadows, what might be, and how we view the world also struck a chord with me. This is what inspired the work I'm looking at, the potentiality of shadows and our own imagination

I'll go into more in my next post, but for now I'll leave you with some initial images, not cleaned up and in all their early morning glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment