Wednesday 25 August 2010

Initial ideas and influences




With the commission for City Arts my work/installation was to be directly influenced by the series of summer workshops that were taking place for the Arts on Prescription programme http://www.city-arts.org.uk/.

With a variety of artists leading the workshops being given the opportunity to explore new mediums and new ideas. It meant that fresh and exciting workshops with the artists working as a group to form a cohesive programme that was particularly interested in fairy tales and gothic interpretations. With puppets, masks, scenery and backdrops, mobiles and chime workshops giving me a breath of ideas and mediums to run with.

I was inspired by the energy and the enthusiasm that I encountered at the workshops, and the willingness of the participants to try something new to put themselves on the line.
The chimes workshop was brilliant and engaged participants in a very fundamental way, allowing them to play instruments in a very fulfilling way as a group without having to have any musical knowledge. With one participant being inspired to make a rap about the workshops.

The use of light and shadows seemed to be important for the visual arts workshops across the board, and it seemed that this was the way for my work to engage with the programme especially as I have often used light and shadows and paper with my own work in a variety of ways.

So having been influenced by the scenery workshops also using large sheets of paper I decided that this was the route to go down

The images here show my tenuous start as I explore shadows and light through photography.


No comments:

Post a Comment